Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Friday, October 9, 2009

A Word of Blessing

One of the most encouraging things in my ministry (and in the ministries of most of my preacher friends) is the verbal encouragement I get from the brethren with whom I serve. That encouragement comes from statements made directly to us (my preacher friends and me) by appreciative brethren and it comes from our names and families being mentioned in public prayer. I have stated on many occasions how much I appreciate the fact that my family and I are mentioned in almost every public prayer led in the congregation where we worship when we were in full time pulpit ministry. To those of you who remember us in this way, “Thank you.”

I could not possibly know each person who reads this personally. That’s alright, though. God knows you and even if I only know you indirectly through someone else, I still want to encourage you. As I write this note, I have prayed for you. I want you to know that I do not consider this just a good writing exercise, but a truly encouraging note to help you get started in your week.

I am constantly amazed at how many times someone has been encouraged by one of these notes or in something else I said that was not planned. What I mean by that is that I may have intended to encourage someone one way, and God worked it so that someone was encouraged in a way I could never have anticipated.

In an earlier note we spent time discussing Ephesians 4:29 and Paul’s command to speak encouraging words according to the need of the moment. All of us should take that command to heart. However, sometimes we do not know all the needs of the moment. I have found that if you keep trying to bless instead of curse with your speech (Romans 12:14) you can encourage and not even know it. In those times I spoke of in the previous paragraph, the only way I knew someone had been encouraged was that they told me so.

I guess what I am trying to say is Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned, as it were, with salt, so that you may know how you should respond to each person (Colossians 4:6). I know you have relationships where even what would normally be considered a cutting remark, spoken in a joking manner, serves to strengthen a relationship rather than weaken it. Those kinds of relationships are good and healthy. However, even then we need to be sensitive to the need of the moment. There are times that even with my best friends I need to weep with them and not try and make them laugh right this minute. We will have time for that another time.

I want to encourage you to encourage others. Say a prayer for someone right now. Let them know you have prayed for them. Tell them how much you appreciate them. That may not come naturally to you. It is true that some people find this easier to do than others. I feel confident, though, that if you will try it, you will find that the initial discomfort will change to a pretty good feeling. There is very little that satisfies more than making someone smile or feel better. And it does not really take any more effort to bless than to curse.

I pray that God will bless each one of you as you read this. I know He loves you and I want you to know that I love you, too.

No comments: