Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Vindicated by His Power

My heart is in anguish within me, and the terrors of death have fallen upon me (Psalm 55:4). The thoughts expressed here in Barnabas Notes have to do with concerns we have that are real, but, for the most part, are not life threatening or even, by the standards of some, really very serious. That is not true of all, however. There are some who read these words each week, who are suffering through very serious circumstances by anyone’s standards. For most, it is enough to say, “Jesus loves you,” reminding you of something you already knew, but just were not focused on at the moment. Some, however, have a very real sense of being all alone in this world, surrounded by enemies, with all hope gone. For this reason, in this issue I want to use some passages that address our fears and concerns with much stronger language.

David said, “Fear and trembling come upon me, and horror has overwhelmed me” (Psalm 55:5). Have you experienced this kind of fear? I know some of you have! Some may be experiencing it right now. It is not just the fear that we have when we think someone has broken into our homes in the middle of the night. You might feel this fear just thinking about going to work tomorrow. I know church leaders who feel this fear about going to church when there is so much discord. If you have been through this (or are going through it now), you know the truth of …and horror has overwhelmed me and the next verse: I said, "Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest" (Psalm 55:6). It is a sickening feeling to have such fear and dread. I don’t suppose that there is any feeling that makes you feel more alone. Still, I want you to understand that the psalmist says these things as part of a prayer. He was not just lamenting his sorry state, but was calling for help. And he was “calling a number” that you have, too!

By the time you read down to verse 22, he says, “Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.” This is a time in your life that is so serious that you have no way out. There is nothing you can do to save yourself. All you can do is “let go and let God,” as someone once said. And before you get the idea that I am saying, “Don’t worry, it will be alright!” I want to make it clear that it may not be alright in this life. There are some problems that take our lives. And it may be that the thing troubling you will dog you to your grave. I know that doesn’t sound very encouraging for an article about encouragement. However, let me also point out that even if this problem in your life takes your life, there is still hope: “Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken” (Psalm 55:22). David prayed: “Save me, O God, by Your name, and vindicate me by Your power” (Psalm 54:1).

I’ve got to tell you, this is truly empowering! Does it not give you strength to realize that even in the face of death you can overcome? God will sustain you even if you die!! The key is casting your burden on Him. The key is being one of the righteous who will never be shaken. I admit that from time to time, I allow myself to be shaken. But then I remember passages like this and the promises associated with them. There is no fiery dart that the devil can fire at me (or you) that we cannot handle with such a promise backing us up!! God gives us the promise of overcoming the worst the enemy can do to us (death) because He loves us so much. It is hard to imagine that He could love me that much, but He does. And He loves you that much, too. And so, by the way, do I.

No comments: