Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Friday, October 9, 2009

Our Refuge and Our Strength

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble ( Psalm 46:1). Truer words were never spoken. There really is no refuge and strength other than God. There is no one else to whom we can turn when we find ourselves in trouble. And sometimes trouble seems to have us squarely in its sights. The psalmist continues: Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea… (Psalm 46:2).

Sometimes life gets pretty tough. Some who are reading this have endured (or are enduring) trials that would make the rest of us tremble. According to Psalm 46 there is a place of refuge to which you can go; there is a “very present help in times of trouble.” Even in those times when there seems to be no way out or no answer, there is a way out; there is an answer.

Psalm 46:4-7: There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy dwelling places of the Most High. God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns. The nations made an uproar, the kingdoms tottered; He raised His voice, the earth melted. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our stronghold. Selah. The key to having this promise of refuge is to be part of the city of God; to be among the dwelling places of the Most High. According to Scripture, that means to be a member of the church, because the church is the city of God, or the temple (dwelling place) of God (Revelation 21:2; 1 Corinthians 3:16).

God’s word to those who resist Him is: “Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth” (Psalm 46:10). One of the reasons I may not find comfort or refuge as quickly as I would like (if at all) is that I am still resisting Him. Perhaps I am suffering the consequences of my own actions and have not repented of the sin of those actions. In all honesty, I don’t have any right to expect comfort or refuge if I have not repented of my sins. I need to “cease striving,” stop resisting the will of my heavenly Father. I need to “know” that He is God. I need to realize just Who it is that I am fighting and surrender. God will be exalted among the nations and in the earth, whether I stop striving with Him or not. It will be better for me to give up and let Him have control.

Notice how the psalmist closes this psalm: The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our stronghold. Selah (Psalm 46:11). Whether you realize it or not, there is no better thing that anyone could say than, “The Lord is with us; He is our Stronghold.” Remember those words. Try also remembering them the way Paul said them: If God is for us, who can be against us? (Romans 8:31).

Concerning the word “Selah,” one scholar believed it meant “a solemn pause of hush and wonder.” Another called it an expression “of the tremulous soul,” as though the psalmist, in the midst of his description of God, would pause and say, “Just think of that!” God bless and...Selah. He loves you and so do I.

No comments: