Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Take My Hand, Lord

There’s a song in the song book we use in our congregation called “Take My Hand, Precious Lord.” It is a beautiful song, musically and in sentiment. The whole song is about asking God to take care of us when we are down, discouraged and about to be overwhelmed. The psalmist Asaph wrote a similar prayer. He said, “When my heart was embittered and I was pierced within, then I was senseless and ignorant; I was like a beast before You. Nevertheless I am continually with You; You have taken hold of my right hand. With Your counsel You will guide me, and afterward receive me to glory” (Psalm 73:21-24).

There are a lot of things that can overwhelm us, discourage us, or embitter us. They all drain us. This is a serious threat that we dare not take lightly. Asaph makes a wonderfully beautiful point. He was where many of us have been and maybe some are right now. His heart had been embittered. He was pierced within. I don’t know about you (although I have an idea you are much like me), but when I am in that condition, I am truly miserable. I can relate to what Asaph says; that he was “senseless and ignorant.” We are blinded to logic and sometimes even reality. All we see is the bitterness, the misery, the pain we feel. We cannot reason objectively. We really are like animals.

Even now, however, there is hope. I simply love the word “nevertheless.” Many years ago, in that old movie “African Queen,” a German naval officer asked Kathryn Hepburn how she and Humphrey Bogart came to be in the lake where they were captured. She replied they had come down a certain river. The German captain said that was impossible. Ms. Hepburn calmly replied, “Nevertheless…” In his mind, what she claimed was impossible. Nevertheless, it was true! Sometimes we find ourselves in an impossible situation…like the one Asaph describes. Nevertheless!! Nevertheless, he found himself with the Lord. When all was lost, Jehovah was nearby. He had taken the downtrodden, discouraged and overwhelmed by the hand. He can, even in the most difficult of times, counsel and guide those who will just take His hand (and, of course, we mean all that taking Him by the hand means). Even in a seemingly hopeless time, we can have hope of being received to glory.

Do you remember the apostle Peter? Peter is a favorite of the apostles to study because he was so much like us in temperament. He was impulsive, passionate and sometimes it got him into trouble. A favorite incident involving Peter was when he actually got out of a boat and walked on the water, just like Jesus! You know the story…how Peter walked on the water and then took his eyes off of Jesus and began to sink. Do you remember what he said? He cried out to Jesus, “Lord, save me” (Matthew 14:30). That’s the key! If you will remember, Jesus plucked Peter out of the water, saved him from drowning, by stretching out his hand and taking hold of him (Matthew 14:31). Take my hand, Lord!

This week, when things get tough or when you get a little discouraged, when the world threatens to absolutely overwhelm you, remember Asaph’s psalm and Peter’s example. Do not be afraid to cry out, “Take my hand, Lord!” He will be there for you, if you will give Him a chance. He loves you and so do I.

No comments: