Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Seek and You Shall Find

In Matthew 7:7, Jesus says, “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” What a comforting thought that if we genuinely seek after God’s will, we will find it. And it is especially comforting given what Jesus says just a few verses later. In verses 13 and 14 Jesus says that the way that leads to life is narrow and the way that leads to destruction is wide. Most people, from what Jesus says (and He ought to know) are not going to spend eternity in heaven.

There is simply no other way to understand what Jesus says here. The world is full of people (and religious people at that) who are doing their best to widen the way that leads to life. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and acknowledge that some of this is done out of concern for the lost and a desire to extend God’s grace to as many as possible. The problem is that no one has the right to extend God’s grace beyond the limit God has already set. Neither you nor I nor anyone else has the right to say God’s grace will cover a sin that God has said He will condemn, or to say that the way to eternal life is broad when God has said it is narrow.

Now, once again, I know that some people will object to what I have said so far, or will think I am being harsh and judgmental. I would disagree. I am compelled out of the love I feel for all men and for my heavenly Father and His word, to point out that the way to eternal life is narrow. I want as many people as possible to give up on the notion of widening the narrow way or trying to come up with another way to the Father. There is only One Way to the Father (John 14:6). I want them to seek the narrow way, the Way that God accepts.

After reading that the way is so narrow, which can be very disconcerting and discouraging, I am terribly encouraged to know that if I will seek this narrow way, I will find it. And I am absolutely ecstatic to be able to tell you and everyone else the same thing. You do not have to stumble around in some spiritual fog, hoping you stumble across God’s grace. You can know His will and you can know you are saved (1 John 5:13). You can make your calling and choosing sure (2 Peter 1:10). You can be in heaven for eternity. There are things you can do to make sure it happens. God has provided that for you because He loves you that much.

If you are someone who is afraid or worried that you are not good enough to be saved, let me just say that none of the rest of us is, either. If you are worried that you will not find the narrow way, the way that leads to life eternal, let me encourage you by sharing this truth with you: if you seek that way, genuinely seek it, you will find it. If you are one that is confident that you have found the narrow way, let me encourage you to examine yourself, test yourself to see if you are truly in the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5). If you are convinced of your salvation based on human reasoning or doctrine and have not obeyed what so many people think are “narrow-minded” commands, let me encourage you to give up trying to widen the narrow way and give yourself to God and His will. Stop resisting Him and submit. That is the way to eternal life; His way, not mine or yours. God has provided this narrow way to eternal life because He loves you and so do I.

No comments: