Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Like Mount Zion

Sometimes it feels like all I ever say is that we should trust in the Lord to help us get through the difficult times in life. I know that to some that sounds a little too easy. And, if we are not careful, we will start to think of trusting in the Lord as the easy thing to say, but it doesn’t really work. I’m sorry that I don’t have anything to make that advice sound better or more attractive. All I have to offer is the very Scriptures that continue to tell us to trust God and He will get us through!

In Psalm 125:1 we read: Those who trust in the Lord are as Mount Zion, which cannot be moved but abides forever. It is a simple statement and, like I said, some are not going to believe it can be that simple. But it can! It really is just that simple!!

I look forward to the New Year and the opportunities it will present. At the same time I know there will be some difficult things to deal with. If it’s like every other year of my life, there will be those I know who will pass from this life in the coming twelve months. Who knows…I might be one of them! The psalmist’s words above tell me that if I trust in the Lord, I will not be moved, no matter what happens. Not being moved does not mean that nothing will affect me, or that I will be cold and impassive. It means that nothing can overcome me and move me away from the grace of God. The most difficult thing that you will have to deal with in the coming year will not destroy you or your faith if you will trust in God to get you through it.

The really comforting part of Psalm 125 is found in the next verse. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds His people from this time forth and forever (Psalm 125:2). Now we understand why those who trust in the Lord are not moved. They find themselves within the protective arms of our Lord and Savior, Jehovah God! How comforting is that…to know that God “surrounds” you from now on? Why should I worry?

Last week I mentioned that a lot of people have a hard time this time of year for a variety of reasons. I choose to look at the New Year as a new opportunity. The slate is clean, so to speak. I have definitely noticed that the years go by more quickly now than when I was a kid. The good part of that is that I get to start working on a New Year sooner every year (it seems).

I hope you will begin the New Year later this week with the determination to trust in God no matter what happens to you. If you’re suffering right now, trust Him right now! If everything is going good now, trust in God and fortify yourself and your faith; determine to trust God and make yourself strong and ready for the trials to come, because, I’m afraid, they will come. Be of good cheer, however. Know that God is on your side and that He loves you and so do I.

No comments: