Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Oracles of God

I have, in the past, written of the “Healing Power of Ministry.” It is true that there is great healing power in ministering to the needs of others. There is a lot that each of us should know and be reminded of when it comes to helping other people. I have made it my purpose in these Barnabas Notes to encourage those who need encouragement. I want to do that today by reminding all of us of how important it is to remain faithful to the word of God.

It does not make any difference how happy you are or how successful you are at navigating the frustrating waters of this life without a mental or spiritual breakdown; if you are not faithful to the will of God, your happiness is temporary. And there are no comforting words to make eternity in hell a little easier to endure. I would much rather encourage you to be faithful to God while suffering through this life, than to make you smile here and lose your soul. There is nothing more encouraging that I could think of to say than to tell you that God loved you so much that He gave His only Begotten Son so that you can have everlasting life (John 3:16).

The apostle Peter said, “Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God; whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen” (1 Peter 4:11). Amen, indeed! As a preacher of the Gospel, the first part of this verse is very important to me. If I presume to speak concerning the will of God, I have better speak God’s word.

Notice the second part of the verse. You might say, “Yes, but I cannot minister to other people like some others can. I have needs of my own!” Before you write yourself off as not having enough strength to help other people, notice that Peter commands us to minister to (that means serve) other people “by the strength God supplies.” That means that God will give you all the strength you need to reach out to others.

My dear friends, the reason you are able to draw strength from those who encourage you, is because that is how God designed us to function. Many of you have said some very kind things to me about these notes and I appreciate it more than you can know, but the encouragement that comes to you through this ministry is “by the strength which God supplies.” It is what allows me to encourage you when I feel down myself and it is what will help you to reach out to others when you have needs yourself.

It is my prayer that you overcome whatever obstacles stand in your path to true, eternal happiness. Most of all, I would that you were faithful so that even if before this week is done your life is required of you, you will open your eyes in eternity with never a thought or concern or any need of encouragement ever again. God wants you to be happy (saved, 2 Peter 3:9) because He loves you and so do I.

No comments: