Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Happy Holidays?

As I told you in my last post, this is my favorite time of the year, and that is true for several reasons. However, I must number myself among those who grows tired of the commercialization of Christmas (along with a growing number of other holidays, it seems). Still, I look forward to the time I get to spend with family and just the general atmosphere of good will.

There are many people, however, who do not view the holiday season with the same attitude. Statistics tell us that a great many people dread this time of year. Some experts say that depression tends to increase around the holidays for some people, due to a variety of factors. The loss of a loved one, the lack of family to spend time with, or the stress of interacting with family can all exacerbate a feeling of depression specifically at this time of year. I know this problem is real. My family lost a loved one at Christmas time a few years ago and, while I believe we have coped with that loss, I'm not sure we have completely recovered, or are supposed to. So, I do not mean any of this to sound patronizing.

Wait a minute! I thought this was supposed to be a note of encouragement!! So far, it's been a little on the discouraging side.

How can we encourage those who find themselves discouraged during this "most wonderful time of the year"? (I love that song, by the way). Dealing with any of these stressors is difficult enough without the whole world (it seems) ramping up the cheer and happiness around us. The common denominator in this list seems to be loneliness. Every time anyone talks about what Christmas means to them, at some point they are going to say that they love the time spent with family. I said that myself just a minute ago. So, if I'm the one who doesn't have anyone to spend time with, my load just got a lot heavier to carry.

This is not the end of the post, but I'm going to jump in here with a "God loves you" to help take some of the weight off your shoulders. When Jesus said, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden..." (Matthew 11:28ff) there is a very definite application to the religious leaders who "bind heavy burdens that are hard to bear and lay them on men's shoulders" (Matthew 23:4). However, it seems to me that the burden carried by those discouraged in life and which tempts them to give up on life itself, or to allow their discouragement to overcome them and cause them to sink further into depression, is a burden that can be lifted with the help of Jesus. When the apostle Paul said that God is faithful and will provide a way of escape from every temptation, so that we need not be overcome by it (1 Corinthians 10:13), would that not include the temptation to allow the burden of loneliness to overcome us? Of course it would!!

One stressor we left out of our list is that of guilt. You see, many of those who suffer at this time of year are Christians. The fact that they are people means they are susceptible to the same kinds of temptations, pressures and discouragement that everyone else is. However, along with that, there is sometimes the feeling that since they are Christians, they're not supposed to be down or depressed. And when they are, they feel guilty. Let me encourage you not to let guilt overcome you. Look for that way of escape that Paul promised would be there. Find some way to minister to someone else. That is God's design to help the new creature be healed when he is hurt spiritually. Time and time again Jesus was wounded in spirit by the pressure of this life and every time, He looked on a multitude and felt compassion on them and ministered to them. Look through the archives of this blog to find a post entitled "The Healing Power of Ministry."

Whether I know you personally or not, I know that God loves you; He loves you enough that He sent His only begotten Son to die so that you can have eternal life where there will be no more suffering of any kind, if you will accept His offer on His terms (John 3:16; Revelation 21:4; John 14:15). And even if I do not know you, I love you enough to want to tell you that. I hope that this note will help ease your pain in some way. I know that I am strengthened and encouraged in the attempt. Find someone you can do the same with today. Make this holiday season the beginning of a new life for yourself. Don't focus on yourself, but on others, and don't stop when the trees and lights come down. Once again, God loves you and so do I.

Donnie Bates

No comments: