Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Sunday, December 6, 2009

All You Need

I find the thought that God would leave us here without telling us what He expected of us to be a very discouraging thought. What I mean is, if I understood that God expected me to be faithful to Him, to please Him with my life, but He did not tell me how to do that, I would find little reason to hope. I am sure that there are a lot of people who feel that religion is just that hopeless. Boy, am I glad it’s not!

By the time the apostle Peter had written his second letter to the church, he says that God had already given us everything that pertains to life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3). That means that we do not need anything else. We have all we need.

I know that there are many people who struggle in life and are searching for meaning in their lives. They want to know the answers to a lot of questions. They want to know that their lives can have purpose. They look around at “life” and think there must be more than this. Well, there is...much more.

When many people turn to religion, they look at a religious world that is fractured and divided. There are hundreds, even thousands, of different religions. Even among those who call themselves Christians there are many hundreds of different groups, each with its own set of rules and doctrine. How is the seeker of truth to find the answers?

That is a difficult question, to be sure, but only if you are trying to find the answer from a human point of view. Let us look again at 2 Peter 1:3: seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. So, we do not have to answer this question from a human point of view. The apostle Paul wrote: All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16, 17). So, what we have is this: God expects us to live a faithful life, obedient to all His will, and He has told us what that will is. I do not have to go through life wondering what God wants me to do. He has given me everything I need.

What a comforting thought! I do not have to decide what I should do. Now, all I have to do is decide if I will do what He commands. As you head out the door to whatever life holds for you, what will you decide? Will you live your life like God wants you to? If you do, your life may still be tough, but it will not be as tough as life without God in the long run. And that is because He loves you and I want you to know this because I love you, too.

No comments: