Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Yet Will I Exult in the Lord

It has been the stated purpose of Barnabas Notes from the very beginning to offer encouragement to those who need it. There have been some issues in which I have tried to offer a bit of relief from some of the anxiety that afflicts us by replacing a tear with a smile. Today, I want to share some thoughts with you from a passage that strikes me as very difficult to smile about in a lighthearted way. This passage is very serious in nature and while it may bring a smile of relief to know that God is on the job and watching over us, it deals with a deeper emotion than laughing at the silly concerns we sometimes have.

In his book of prophecy, Habakkuk is confused and frustrated. He looks around at the society in which he lives and all he sees is injustice. He cries out to Jehovah, “Why?” Actually, he said, “How long, O Lord, will I call for help, and You will not hear?” (1:2). Those are some pretty strong words. God answered him by telling the prophet that He was sending the Chaldeans (Babylonians) to punish Judah. This confused Habakkuk even more. Why would God send a people more evil than the Jews themselves to punish them? The Lord explained to the prophet that this was His judgment and the Chaldeans themselves would be punished, too. This is the story of Habakkuk in an extremely small (and probably oversimplified) nutshell. Habakkuk has been told that judgment is coming on his people and it will not be pleasant. Hard times are coming! I want you to consider the closing of this great prophecy.

Nothing that Habakkuk has heard so far has made this any easier to endure. He has heard an explanation for the coming judgment, but judgment is still coming! The prophet, however, is determined to do one thing: wait for the Lord. This is where I want us to find our encouragement. You know Habakkuk was troubled just by reading his statements in 3:16: I heard and my inward parts trembled, at the sound my lips quivered. Decay enters my bones, and in my place I tremble. Because I must wait quietly for the day of distress, for the people to arise who will invade us. He is scared to death! And yet he knows that this is God’s judgment; it is righteous judgment and he has nothing to complain about. What faith! No matter how bad things got (read verse 17) Habakkuk was going to trust in God (verses 18, 19).

Let me close by asking you this question: when was the last time you said to yourself, “No matter how bad things get, still will I exult in the Lord; I will rejoice in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength, and He has made my feet like hinds’ feet and makes me walk on my high places”? Yeah, I know, it’s been a while for me, too. I can only marvel at the faith of Habakkuk and try to have that kind of faith myself. I hope his example will have the same effect on you and that all of us will try very hard to look at the afflictions and worries that come into our lives with the same faith in Jehovah God that this great prophet had. God loves you and so do I.

Donnie Bates

No comments: