Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I Love the Lord

I know this seems like it should go without saying, but maybe that is one of our problems: we do not say it enough. Let me get one “preacherly” duty out of the way right here and remind everyone that Jesus defines love for Him as keeping His commandments (John 14:15).

There are countless reasons why we could (and should) say we love the Lord. First and foremost of which would be the fact that He loved us enough to send His only begotten Son to die on the cross for you and me (John 3:16). That is a pretty good reason to love Him. How about Jesus’ own promise to be with us always, even to the end of the age (Matthew 28:20)? Or, what about the promise to not let us endure more temptation than we are able to bear (1 Corinthians 10:13)?

All of these are wonderful reasons to love the Lord! I want to call your attention to Psalm 116. This is a psalm of pure thanksgiving, from an individual who seems to have just been delivered from some peril. There is much in Scripture to encourage us in times of peril. Here is an example that we should follow in thanking the Lord for all that encouragement.

In verse 1 the psalmist says he loves the Lord “…because He hears my voice and my supplications.” It is a simple reason to love the Lord, but a powerful one, as well. He hears our prayers. Because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore I shall call upon Him as long as I live (Psalm 116:2). What beautiful simplicity!

Verses 3, 4 give us a glimpse of what the psalmist faced and also a plan of attack when we face danger or distress: The cords of death encompassed me and the terrors of Sheol came upon me; I found distress and sorrow. Then I called upon the name of the Lord: “O Lord, I beseech You, save my life!” The next time you find yourself in a difficult situation, try calling on the Lord this way. You know why, don’t you? Because Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; Yes, our God is compassionate. The Lord preserves the simple; I was brought low, and He saved me (Psalm 116:5, 6). The Lord preserves the simple. I don’t know about you, but that statement gives me particular comfort.

I want you to read the rest of this psalm and make it your own prayer of praise and thanksgiving to God for all that He has done for you. Maybe the cords of death have not ever encompassed you or the terrors of Sheol come upon you, but you have been scared, haven’t you? You have been worried. I know that because we all have been. And yet here we are! God has delivered us. All of us know people who have not survived some of the terrors of this world. However, before we accuse God of not delivering them, let us not be so hasty! Those who are living a faithful life at the time of their death have been delivered further than the rest of us. They are now safe in the bosom of Abraham (paradise). So, there is still reason to thank God.

The last thing the psalmist says in this psalm is “Hallelujah!” It means “Praise the Lord!” How appropriate! I love the Lord because He hears my prayers and delivers me from evil. Hallelujah!! Do you love the Lord? He loves you, and so do I.

Donnie Bates

No comments: