Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

God is Near

"Words of encouragement"... that sounded so easy when I had the idea to create this series of articles. I really just wanted to put something together that would help friends of mine get through a tough time, perhaps offer some encouragement to the discouraged; maybe even replace a tear with a smile.

Personally, I have never been more discouraged than when I have been alone, or at least when I have felt alone. I was visiting with a brother in Christ once who was discouraged. I asked him a question that may have changed my life more than his. I like to ask questions that are easy to answer, but in the answering make us see a particular point. I asked this man, "Do you feel that God has abandoned you?" I intended for him to give the obvious answer ("No!") and then, magically understand, open his eyes and realize that God was still with him and that his situation was not as hopeless as he thought. To my amazement he answered, "Yes!" Well, that caused me to change my approach drastically. I now had to convince him that God was still nearby (see Psalm 139).

From that day I have made that question a regular part of my conversations with those who are discouraged to some degree. And a large number of them answer, "Yes, I feel abandoned by God!" Before we go any further, let me assure you, one and all, that God has not gone anywhere! Did you read Psalm 139? Take out your Bible and do so if you have not already. Go ahead...I'll wait.

Now, some may see a threat in those verses (i.e. God is everywhere, watching over your shoulder to see if you do something wrong), but I encourage you to look at this passage from the point of view of someone who is discouraged and feels that God has abandoned him (or her). Maybe you have sunk to the depths of despair; you are deeper than you have ever been. Well, even in the deepest depths Your [God's] hand will lead me (verse 10). Even in the darkest night (gloomiest circumstances) God sees you (verse 12).

Does it encourage you to know that you are in complete control? Well, I hate to tell you this (not really), but you are not in complete control. But wait! There is good news. There is One Who is in complete control!! And He is on your side, if you are on His.

Wipe the tears away and smile. God loves you and so do I.

Donnie Bates

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent point/examples in God is near.

In that regard, I'm sending you a clip "Memo from the Boss"

Enjoy!