Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Cast Your Burdon upon the Lord

Have you ever been hurt by someone really close to you? Rare is the cut that is deeper than that from a friend or loved one. There is a reason for that. As we form relationships we lower our defenses to varying degrees (depending upon the kind of relationship). By "defenses" I mean those parts of our psyche we use to protect ourselves from mental or psychological attack from others. The closer you are to someone, the lower your defenses are. The marriage relationship is the closest ("one flesh," Genesis 2:24) and in which the defenses are generally the lowest. Thefore, cutting words or treacherous behavior will do more damage in such a close, "defenseless" relationship.

There are other ways that such hurtful words or actions can get "under" our defenses. A very good friend of mine, who has much more experience in counseling than I, once described to me the concept of the power of the word overheard. What he meant is that to words we overhear, we give more credence, for some reason. For example, when I meet a stranger, I am polite and cordial, but there are some psychological defenses I activate because I do not know what to expect. I'm not suspicious, or expecting trouble, but if he says, "Donnie, you are just plain ugly!" it is not going to devestate me. It will hurt my feelings, but I will be able to carry on. On the other hand, if he is just as polite and cordial as he can be, but later I overhear him tell someone else, "I didn't have the heart to say anything, but that Donnie Bates is the ugliest man I ever saw," for some reason I give his words more credibility, simply because the "attack" came indirectly. Just for the record, I know I'm ugly so no further comment is needed, thank you very much!!

There is still another kind of hurt that may be the worst of all. It is the pain and hurt caused in the body of Christ by a Christian who has treacherously turned on his or her brethren. David wrote: My heart is in anguish within me, and the terrors of death have fallen upon me. Fear and trembling come upon me, and horror has overwhelmed me. I said, Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest. Behold, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the wilderness. I would hasten to my place of refuge from the stormy wind and tempest" (Psalm 55:4-7). Note the source of the anguish: For it is not an enemy who reproaches me, then I could bear it; nor is it one who hates me who has exalted himself against me, then I could hide myself from him. But it is you, a man my equal, my companion and my familiar friend; we who had sweet fellowship together walked in the house of God in the throng. Let death come deceitfully upon them; let them go down alive to Sheol, for evil is in their dwelling, in their midst (Psalm 55:12-15). Hear how this treacherous brother is described: He has put forth his hands against those who were at peace with him; he has violated his covenant. His speech was smoother than butter, but his heart was war; his words were softer than oil, yet they were drawn swords (Psalm 55:20, 21). When brethren turn on brethren the result is just awful. (See Galatians 5:15).

It does not matter what the source of your pain is. It could be any of the examples we have described or it could be something else. You might be in so much pain you do not even know the source of it. All you know is, you are in pain! Well, these words are for you: Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken (Psalm 55:22).

You say you've got a burden to carry? Well, you have help to carry it! You do not have to carry it alone. What a comfort it is to realize that in your darkest hour, there is One Who is on your side if you are faithfully His.

I hope it eases your mind today, lifts your heart and perhaps puts a smile on your lips to know God sees you right now and loves you. It won't help as much, I know, but I hope it helps a little to know this old, ugly fellow loves you, too.

Donnie Bates

2 comments:

SKW said...

I'm glad to see the return of Barnabas' Notes. Good writing.
SKW

Anonymous said...

Good post.