Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Monday, January 25, 2010

Crossing the Jordan

It has been my privilege and blessing to have had, on several occasions, the opportunity to write in tribute to a faithful brother who has passed from this life. I realize that the older I get, the more frequently this is likely to happen, but it must be understood that the admiration is genuine in each case.

On Sunday, January 24, 2010 brother Dick Logan laid down his earthly tent and stepped into eternity. It has been my blessing to know this brother almost my entire life. I remember playing against basketball and softball teams he coached when I was a youngster. As a teenager I remember him preaching in small congregations of the Lord's church in the area, always ready to help small groups of Christians who needed it. I remember him as a faithful Gospel preacher (no preacher could ask for higher praise in someone's memory). I mentioned just today to a dear friend of mine that I felt brother Dick was instrumental in my moving to Hugo, Oklahoma just over ten years ago. That move, for my family and me, proved to be pivotal in the way our lives have turned out to this point. In the last ten years, when I was able to be around him more, Dick always had an encouraging word to say to me; I never failed to be humbled by his kindness when in his presence.

Circumstances require that I be out of the country on the day his earthly remains are laid to rest. However, I know that brother Dick would say that is exactly where I need to be. Even so, at 3:00 p.m. CST on Thursday, January 28, 2010, a large part of my heart will be in a country school building in the community of Forrest Grove in Southeastern Oklahoma where family (both physical and spiritual) and friends of Dick Logan will gather to offer tributes to my friend and fellow soldier of the cross. I will not say "final respects" because respect will be paid to this faithful man every time his name is mentioned for many years to come. I pray God's richest blessings on Dick's wife Gloria and all the rest of his family.

Many who read this blog do not know Dick Logan. However, you know of others who have lived faithful lives before God according to His Word. I will close by allowing the apostle Paul to offer words of comfort and it is my wish (and I believe brother Dick would agree) that these words of comfort be applied to every family who grieves at the loss of a loved one who faithfully served Jehovah God.

But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore, comfort one another with these words. (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18).

God loves you and so do I.

Donnie Bates

2 comments:

Carla Currence said...

Thank you for these words. Though we had not seen him in the last 6 years, he had a big influence on our children and was such an encouragement to us in our daily walk.

Donnie Bates said...

Thank you, Carla, for those words of encouragement. I think I missed him as much as anyone.