Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Redeemer Lives

"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives…" These words were spoken by a man who suffered more than any of us have suffered, I would say. They are the words of Job 19:25. Job is the man in the Bible that should make us ashamed for ever complaining about anything. Just in this chapter (Job 19) listen to the things he had suffered: "Know then that God has wronged me and has closed His net around me. Behold, I cry, 'Violence!' but I get no answer; I shout for help, but there is no justice. He has walled up my way so that I cannot pass, and He has put darkness on my paths. He has stripped my honor from me and removed the crown from my head. He breaks me down on every side, and I am gone; and He has uprooted my hope like a tree. He has also kindled His anger against me and considered me as His enemy. His troops come together, and build up their way against me and camp around my tent” (Job 19:6-12). Have you ever felt like that; like God had done all of these things to you or that He had caused you to suffer like you have?

Job also says: "He has removed my brothers far from me, and my acquaintances are completely estranged from me. My relatives have failed, and my intimate friends have forgotten me. Those who live in my house and my maids consider me a stranger. I am a foreigner in their sight. I call to my servant, but he does not answer; I have to implore him with my mouth. My breath is offensive to my wife, and I am loathsome to my own brothers. Even young children despise me; I rise up and they speak against me. All my associates abhor me, and those I love have turned against me. My bone clings to my skin and my flesh, and I have escaped only by the skin of my teeth. Pity me, pity me, O you my friends, for the hand of God has struck me. Why do you persecute me as God does, and are not satisfied with my flesh?” (Job 19:13-22). “Pity me, pity me” is a good title for the way we feel sometimes, isn’t it?

Well, not very long after saying all this Job makes the comment that led off this note of encouragement. Yes, Job suffered and suffered terribly. Yes, you and I have suffered and some of us have suffered terribly. Are we still willing to say, along with Job, I know that my Redeemer lives? Job was! Then he said: “Even after my skin is destroyed, yet from my flesh I shall see God; Whom I myself shall behold, and whom my eyes will see and not another. My heart faints within me!” Job 19:26,27. Even after all we’ve suffered; even as bad as suffering on this earth can get, there is still the promise that one day we will see Him Who gave His Son to die for us! My heart faints, too!

I hope the realization that one day you can stand before God and be welcomed into the joy of your Master is reason for you to begin this week with a happy heart and not a heavy one. There are many people in this world who begin every day with a heavy heart. No one has to! Every faithful Christian has reason to rejoice this morning. This is the day which the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it (Psalm 118:24). Things may not go just exactly like you would like for them to today or this week. Still, God is in charge and that is reason to rejoice. Just think, He may have something in mind for you this week that is far greater than you could have imagined. So, have a great week and know that the Creator of the universe loves you and so do I.

Donnie Bates

No comments: