Welcome

Welcome to Barnabas Notes. The title of this site comes from the Biblical character of that name who was a companion of the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey and whose name was actually Joseph. He was called "Barnabas," which means "son of encouragement," because of his ability to bless the lives of others. We hope that this blog will be such a blessing in your life!

A peaceful spring on the Macedonian side of Lake Ochrid in the Balkan Mountains

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Close to Stumbling

The psalmist Asaph wrote: “...my feet came close to stumbling, my steps had almost slipped” (Psalm 73:2). I do not know anyone who cannot identify with that statement. In fact, I don’t know anyone who has not actually slipped and stumbled! Asaph was not referring to the general condition of all men in that we are weak and stumble from time to time. He is describing a more specific problem.

In the next verse, he says why he was having trouble. He was envious of the apparent success of people who do not play by the rules. It is frustrating, is it not, when we try to do what is right, but we see people everywhere who do not make that same effort apparently living happy, successful lives, free from all the stress of our “righteous” life?

Sometimes our frustration comes when those who have authority over us, tell us we cannot do something we think we should be allowed to do. More often than not, young people will be those who suffer this kind of frustration. Maybe we want to go to a party and our parents say, “No.” Perhaps it is a relationship they forbid. And our feet come close to stumbling.

This kind of frustration very often leads to anger. Why do we have to suffer this way? Why does someone else get to “have all the fun” while we must trudge along “the straight and narrow”? Why don’t my parents trust me?

Asaph suffered the same kind of anger. However, he realized that there was a way through it. When he prayed to God he said, “When my heart was embittered and I was pierced within, then I was senseless and ignorant; I was like a beast before You. Nevertheless I am continually with You; You have taken hold of my right hand. With Your counsel You will guide me, and afterward receive me to glory” (Psalm 73:21-24). We may become frustrated and angry, but if we want to get through this, we must realize that God can take us by the right hand and guide us with His counsel.

Today, the popular response to almost everything, it seems, is anger. We must understand that anger is in that area we could call “close to stumbling.” When we are angry, we really are “senseless and ignorant.” Let me close this week’s note with Asaph’s words at the end of this psalm: Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. For, behold, those who are far from You will perish; You have destroyed all those who are unfaithful to You. But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord God my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works (Psalm 73:25-28). God loves you and so do I.

Donnie Bates

No comments: